Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Jerry Moe to Help with Children in Ghana

Alcoholism and other drug addiction are a family disease.  Everyone gets hurt by it, including children.  All too often this insidious chronic illness gets passed from generation to generation.  Where does it stop?  How do we interrupt this multi-generational cycle which robs so many people of their health, wellness, spiritual purpose, and culture?

I have much interest and passion for Recovery Africa.  I would love to explore family recovery while I’m there with the specific goal of increasing attendance at Al-Anon in Ghana.  Betty Ford once told me that if you really want to make a difference in a child’s life then help who’s ever raising that child to become healthier.  I also want to plant many seeds about prevention, with a clear focus and emphasis on assisting children living in families hurt by addiction.

I have been a children’s/family counselor for 36 years.  I am presently the National Director of Children’s Programs at the Betty Ford Center.  I’ve written numerous books and done trainings around the world.  In speaking with Dan and Agnes, as well as reading all the available materials, I have a good sense of the progress made in Recovery Africa to date.  Please note that I’ve worked on other projects at a similar stage of development in China, Brazil, Russia, Sweden, Singapore, and New Zealand, with a similar focus on children and families with some amazing results.

No comments:

Post a Comment