Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Mark Webb Coming to Ghana


My introduction to the addiction needs in Ghana happened on the busy noisy streets of Jamestown-Accra in February 2009. I had grown used to our group getting lots of attention so I thought little of the man yelling as he quickly approached us. My attention however was changed when it turned out the man was seeking prayer because of his abuse of alcohol. I had been around people desperate for change before as I have worked in addictions for many years in Canada. This time however, something was different. Maybe it was the desperation in his voice or the hopelessness in his eyes but something was different. As I talked with my Ghanaian friends about alcohol and drug treatment in Ghana I quickly discovered what the difference was.  Unlike in North America, where people with substance abuse issues have numerous options for help, My Ghanaian friends told me that very little is done in Ghana to help "those people". The more I learned about addiction and recovery in Ghana the more I knew that I had to do my small part in making people aware that recovery from alcohol and drug abuse is possible.

 

When I had the chance to return in 2010 I was excited to do so. I was given a 45 minute slot to discuss Addiction Recovery Ministry to a group of pastors. Questions and discussions were flowing with excitement as my 45 minutes was stretched to 90 until the schedule finally forced us to bring the discussion to an end. The highlight for me happened at the end when one of the men in attendance stood and said " I do not talk about this publicly but what this man says is true. We need to help those  around us who drink and drug. I know it is true because I once drank too much and know how important it was for me to have people that were willing to help".

 

Some connections with an international group of addictions counselors led to an opportunity to return in 2011 to speak at an addictions conference that a couple of men in Teshie were organizing. It was a wonderful three days with people from throughout Ghana and neighbouring Togo joining together with the shared goal of discovering how to bring change to the lives of those around them. People reported feeling encouraged and equipped, and feedback since my return to Canada suggests part of what I shared is being used to start a few small support groups.

 

In 2012 I was interested to read an interview with Dr. Eugene Dordoye, a Ghanaian psychiatrist who was in the States studying addiction recovery. To read of a professional of this calibre who was interested in and dedicated to addiction and recovery in Ghana was very exciting! Even more exciting was when after a series of emails Dr. Dordoye and I were able to arrange for me to visit Ghana where I can meet some of the people and see firsthand some of the work that is being done. I am very much looking forward to this visit in September, 2013 and discovering how I can support people like Dr. Dordoye and organizations such as Hopeful Way in bringing real and lasting change in Ghana to lives impacted by addictions.

 

Mark Webb

No comments:

Post a Comment