Thursday, July 26, 2012

University Students to Ghana


Thoughts from Texas and Georgia - On his return to Accra from Wa, Walker said “it is more different than I thought. We seem to be American first and people in recovery second”. Another student added that “my stay at the Oxford House in Accra gave me the best opportunity to make an impact, to illustrate to Ghanaians in recovery that sobriety can be a fun thing”. Beth, a student from Texas Tech, said that “I feel like a fire has been lit under me and my passion to work with high school students and women”. Ahmed said that “I feel so angry to see a huge problem, a lack of resources and not know what to do. What more can I do in Ghana?” Julia from Georgia Southern University adds that “there are so many addicted women in Ghana suffering in silence”. Dr. Tomas Kimbal adds that “in the U.S. we have spent so much time  talking about the causes of alcoholism and addiction and we miss the real message­--recovery. Ghana has the real potential to get the message of recovery out from the very beginning which would jump start the recovery movement in Ghana and Africa.   

No comments:

Post a Comment